week one plan
Let me start by saying this meal plan is very loosely based. The only structure I like to keep during a month long program is balancing out each meal with whole foods, protein, healthy fats, and sustainable carbs that will keep your metabolism functioning at its best without you feeling depleted or hungry. Listen to your body & check in with your cravings. It's your body's way of communicating what it needs. For example, most of us get a sweet tooth at night or want to snack. Whhhyyy doe? Because your body is telling you it's tired so it's craving something that will spike your blood sugar and increase your energy to keep you up. (Swap that sh*t for a piece of 80% or higher dark chocolate with some almond butter or peanut butter.)
I'll provide a few options for each meal/snack. Each recipe will include the ingredients needed so you may need to add a few to the weekly grocery list depending on what you pick. All recipes are also vegetarian friendly with different subs for protein - yay!
The goal of this plan is to keep you consistent 80% of the week. The other 20%? Enjoy the weekends. Or the happy hour. Or the date night. Don't binge, but do live your life to theeeee fullest! Throw in 3-4 workouts a week and your body will respond quick! Increased energy, metabolism, and of course - a little toning up for summer. This is all kid friendly too for the mamas.
TIP: Try to keep carbs minimal here. It can throw your blood sugar off the rest of the day and have you craving carbs/crashing on energy later on.
TIP: The simpler lunch is the better. Most of us are at work during this time so if you're picking something up instead, keep to the same guidelines of high protein, healthy fats, sustainable carbs, and as many veggies as you can get your hands on.
TIP: Use this during the day between meals or at night (but gauge your hunger level so you're not going cray cray before bed).
1) Roasted Sweet Potato Bites
2) 80% (or higher) Dark Chocolate w/ Almond Butter or Peanut Butter (that's the whole recipe - perfect sub when your sweet tooth is kickin')
3) Red Bell Peppers & Guac (nuff said, use the bell peppers to replace chips and dip in guac)
4) Coconut Fat Balls (balls, balls, balls, balls)
5) Apples (or bananas) w/ Peanut or Almond Butter
6) Cucumbers w/ Lime, Pink Salt, & Cayenne Powder
Here's week one's grocery list of staple (and some misc) items. You may already have some at your casa. Also, I didn't include all of the ingredients from every recipe in here (some are though) so just double check you have your ingredients from whichever recipes you choose. You can make ALL the recipes if you like a variety during the week or just make the same thing every day if you prefer consistency/simplicity. Do you, boo.
TIP: Feel free to add any of your favorite other produce items, obvi.
- sweet potatoes
- baby greens mix (kale, spinach, arugula, lettuce, or a blend from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or Sprouts)
- red bell peppers
- lemons and/or limes
- herbs (parsley & cilantro are great for detoxing)
- acai (optional, great low sugar item for smoothies/bowls)
- Hilary's veggie burgers (at Sprout's or Whole Foods)
TIP: Only buy the protein that applies to your lifestyle (plant based, vegan, vegetarian, etc, etc). For the meats I always go with pasture raised/grass fed. I've found those to be the cheapest at Whole Foods.
- black beans
- pasture-raised eggs (better than cage free, promise)
- chicken (your preference on cut)
- ground beef
- yogurt (do dairy? Siggi's is my favorite. don't do it? CoYo at WF is insaaaaaaane)
- extra virgin olive oil
- coconut oil
- grass-fed butter or ghee for bulletproof (optional)
- avocado oil (instead of olive oil, optional)
- sauerkraut, kimchi, all the pickled veggies (so, so, so good for gut health and if you don't like pickled veggies you're outta your damn mind! I throw these into salads, on burgers, straight out of the jar)
- roasted dandelion tea (great for detoxifying and cutting down bloat)
- peanut butter or almond butter
- almond milk or non-dairy unsweetened milk for smoothies
- protein powder for smoothies (go with your protein powder preference)
- protein bar brands to keep on hand for snacks : Perfect Bar, GoMacro, Bulletproof, Primal Kitchen, RX
- apple cider vinegar (for salad dressings)